Thursday, August 6, 2009

Big News: It's 1980 all over again. Smaller News: I'm back!

So after being without internet for several weeks I'm back. There's a very good reason for my long absence which I will reveal tomorrow along with some random (and I mean random) old packs I found as well as some maildays that have been long neglected. And of course while I was away this happened. It was inevitable, especially the way Upper Deck was going the last couple years. Normally, I am in favor of more competition but I'd just as soon not have to buy any more Upper Deck cards. Atlas if only they could have been more like the company they were from '89-'93 they might still have a license. Please oh please Mr. Eisner, make a one-series, 792 card, grey cardboard, non-wrapped bubble gum, wax packed, cheaply priced, baseball card set next year?? I actually have good feelings about Topps having total control. For now. Also while I was away A&G went live like crazy and I hear blasters are already out. I may have to take a look-see...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in the minority on this one, but I think Topps exclusivity is a necessary evil right now. I do not think that there is enough of a baseball card market to support the structure we have in place now.

Maybe losing the MLB license will motivate Upper Deck to put out better cards to compete with Topps now that they don't have the logos. Maybe Topps can concentrate on the "traditional" market that they actually do well.

Maybe its a sign of the end for card collecting. I don't know. But I think we needed something to shake up the landscape.

night owl said...

Glad to see you back.

Goose Joak said...

Yeah, glad to have you back!